Re: non-DD contributors and the debian keyring

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:03:43PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 07:16:31PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:35:17AM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > >
> > > Because there is no need for it to change.
> >
> > Err, why not,
>
> What is the goal?  To indicate that the e-mail signed came from someone
> in possession of person X's private key.  X's public key can be put up
> on existing public key servers.  There are already numerous public key
> servers functioning and no need for keyring.debian.org to be another.
>
> > What would be the problem to adding another 'official' debian keyring
> > for those people in the project who don't need to upload packages, but
> > may be otherwise active in the project.
>
> The lack of need.  Why is such a keyring needed?  What purpose would it
> serve that public key servers don't already?
>
> > We already have, if i am not mistaken, an emeritus keyring and other
> > such, is the idea of adding a contributor, or translator, or whatever
> > keyring such a big issue ?
>
> Don't know if it's an issue (wouldn't think it was), but rather a
> question of need, see above.
>
> > If it is not possible for technical reasons, then explain, if you feel
> > the project don't need translator or other documentation writers, then
> > say it and explain your position, but this "no and it is not going to
> > change" is not acceptable as a response.
>
> I've never indicated in any way that the Debian project doesn't need
> translators.  Please reread my statements.

No, but stephen has hinted at such, and my original mail was addressed
at him.

I personally think that the thread started in a wrong way, the real
reason not being the keyring or whatever, but the place of non package
maintainer DDs in the project.

Friendly,

Sven Luther