Re: stack protection

Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:05:13PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Depending on the size of udev it might be on the initrd or not.
> > If its not then you need a lot of /dev entries to mount the real root
> > device and get udev started or a extra script that created node on the
> > fly from /proc/something.
>
> Actually, no you don't.
>
> The real root is created "on the fly" with mknod with the major,minor
> numbers supplied from the kernel (/proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev).
>
> See /usr/share/initrd-tools/init for details.
>
> (at least thats how I read the code, I don't claim to be an expert on
> this file, under certain circumstances it would appear to parse the
> /proc/cmdline directly).

If you know what the root is.

For debix I have a minimal ramdisk that will search for cdroms and
tries to find the right CDrom in them. Once I have the cdrom size is
not realy a problem anymore.

But what devices do i have to make for all the cdroms, esspecially the
custom ones like the old cdrom on a soundblaster versions.

Having /dev/cdroms is realy a big help searching for a CD. I hope the
same can be done with sysfs.

I guess its time to try to get a linux 2.6 to compile, boot and run
long enough to look around again.

MfG
        Goswin