Re: stack protection

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:05:13PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Depending on the size of udev it might be on the initrd or not.
> If its not then you need a lot of /dev entries to mount the real root
> device and get udev started or a extra script that created node on the
> fly from /proc/something.

Actually, no you don't.

The real root is created "on the fly" with mknod with the major,minor
numbers supplied from the kernel (/proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev).

See /usr/share/initrd-tools/init for details.

(at least thats how I read the code, I don't claim to be an expert on
this file, under certain circumstances it would appear to parse the
/proc/cmdline directly).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>