Re: Transition: new PAM config file handling in unstable

Steve Langasek wrote:
> - It will now be possible to choose md5 vs. crypt passwords at install
>   time without violating policy.  (Currently, a number of conffiles are
>   being modified by maintainer scripts in order to enable md5
>   passwords.)  Actually making this process policy-compliant will
>   require changes to a number of other packages prior to release.

It's great to finally have this. Have you considered doing something to
ease upgrades of systems whose admins chose to enable md5 passwords via
passwd's debconf questions?

root@dragon:/home/joey>debconf-show passwd |grep md5
* passwd/md5: true

If that is set then it would probably be a good idea if services
continued to support md5 after the transition. I'm not a pam expert, but
maybe /etc/pam.d/other would be changed to include md5 in this case?

--
see shy jo