Latest gcc-3.3 and kernel compilation

Are we expecting the latest unstalble gcc compiler to correctly
compiler the kernel?

 > gcc --version
 gcc (GCC) 3.3.2 20030812 (Debian prerelease)

I'm getting a new error when I compile the kernel.  In the structure
below, it doesn't like the declaration for slot_tablen complaining
that

  ide-cd.h:440: error: long, short, signed or unsigned used invalidly for `slot_tablelen'

It looks like it doesn't like the obviously invalid use of short in
the declaration.  How does this affect our wish to move to the new
compiler?

struct atapi_mechstat_header {
#if defined(__BIG_ENDIAN_BITFIELD)
	__u8 fault         : 1;