Re: Transition: new PAM config file handling in unstable

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:40:35PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> > - It will now be possible to choose md5 vs. crypt passwords at install
> >   time without violating policy.  (Currently, a number of conffiles are
> >   being modified by maintainer scripts in order to enable md5
> >   passwords.)  Actually making this process policy-compliant will
> >   require changes to a number of other packages prior to release.

> It's great to finally have this. Have you considered doing something to
> ease upgrades of systems whose admins chose to enable md5 passwords via
> passwd's debconf questions?

> root@dragon:/home/joey>debconf-show passwd |grep md5
> * passwd/md5: true

> If that is set then it would probably be a good idea if services
> continued to support md5 after the transition. I'm not a pam expert, but
> maybe /etc/pam.d/other would be changed to include md5 in this case?

Given that all the files involved were conffiles prior to this
transition, I think no additional work is needed to correctly support
systems that are being upgraded.  Can you confirm whether
/etc/pam.d/other already contains 'md5' on the machine above?  If not,
I'll add that to the top of the TODO list.

A decision still needs to be made about which package should be asking
the question, I think.  Policy would normally require that
libpam-runtime is the only package editing any of these files; and
indeed, since the passwd package is not essential, it is conceivable to
have a system with libpam-runtime installed but not passwd, and the
question would still be relevant for other services that allow password
changes.  Are there problems with using debconf from a package that's in
the dependency chain of login (an essential package)?  If so, this would
also pose a problem with trying to poll debconf values to fix
/etc/pam.d/other on upgrade.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer