Re: Binaryless uploads [Was: FTBFS: architecture all packages]

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:19:53PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > I'm well aware of the concept.  However here's the deal:  Webmin has a
> > whole bunch of modules that depend on a wide range of other Debian
> > packages.  So having one binary package would result in a huge list of
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When Jaldhar takes about dependancies, I assume he means normal
"Depends", not "Build-Depends"???

> Quote: "... that you can have one source package in Debian generate
> multiple binary packages"

Effectively Jaldhar just needs to merge the source packages together,
and keep the binary packages split.

However, Jaldhar continues to respond with "we need the binary packages
split.".

This response does not make any sense, we are not asking for that.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

I am not sure what direction this failure is occuring in though (and
speculating would just confuse), so I will spell it out. I apologize if
this would appear to be obvious to some people.

Source package has the following files (note: this is called a "source
package" not a "binary package"):

webmin_1.100.orig.tar.gz
webmin_1.100-2.diff.gz
webmin_1.100-2.dsc

Extracting this source package and running debian/rules build would
produce the following *binary packages*:

webmin_1.100-2_all.deb
webmin-core_1.100-2_all.deb
webmin-apache_.100-2_all.deb
webmin-squid_.100-2_all.deb
[...list truncated...]

Jaldhar, please tell me what the problem is with the above approach.

You will notice that there is only one source package, but multiple
binary packages.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>