Re: Binaryless uploads [Was: FTBFS: architecture all packages]

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 10:38:10PM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:

> > > No, it is based on the assumption that a buildd will only install things
> > > listed in the Build-Depends, which means it will catch stuff that only
> > > builds on the maintainers workstation because they aren't building
> > > inside a chroot and are being sloppy - one of the main things they catch
> > > for binary-arch targets, today.
> >
> > People seem to be doing quite well enough at catching those
> > already. As you're so fond of saying, if they weren't then we wouldn't
> > be having this conversation (note how meaningless that is?).
>
> Primarily because a few individuals appear to be doing, on their own time
> and bandwidth, exactly what I propose - that is, invoking the binary-indep
> target on a building machine other than the maintainer's.
>
> If they get hit by a bus, reassigned by their job to Outer Mongolia, or
> just plain get bored with doing it, we lose that benefit entirely, as
> things stand today. I'm proposing that the function appears to be producing
> clear benefits, and that we should, in fact, adjust our expectations so
> that we retain those benefits in a more direct fashion.

No, you are proposing something else entirely: that we require
somebody like this to upload the binary-indep components before the
packages enter testing.

> > > In fact, the buildd is presumed to be valid - must be - because we're
> > > using it for every architecture not uploaded. Invalid buildds are, as
> > > far as I have observed, caught fairly rapidly, and taken out of the pool
> > > until fixed (barring toolchain failures which only affect a few
> > > packages, or the like).
> >
> > Same thing applies to maintainer workstations.
>
> No, in fact, it doesn't. Which is the crux of the question.

Argument by repeated assertion.

> > > A maintainer's workstation cannot be presumed to be valid, because we
> > > regularly demonstrate that this isn't the case. If we could presume it
> > > was valid, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.
> >
> > Strange, I thought we actually managed to upload working packages most
> > of the time. Are you attempting to suggest that we don't?
>
> Are you attempting to suggest that the buildd arrangement uploads broken
> packages more often than maintainers do?

Probably about as frequently.

> > > If you think the buildds are invalid, perhaps you should take the matter up
> > > with the people running them, and so they can try to fix whatever problems
> > > you are seeing?
> >
> > Right back at you. You can swap "maintainer workstation" and "buildd"
> > in your last mail and still have it about as meaningful, which should
> > be a hint that you're pursuing a blind alley.
>
> No, you can't. Or rather, you can swap it, and the wording is equally
> parseable - but no longer accurate. See above.

And again.

> > Note that it is much _more_ important for a maintainer workstation
> > (where all the actually important stuff happens) to be working than it
> > is for a buildd (which is largely automated, and thusly can be easily
> > duplicated, replaced, or re-done).
>
> Where a failed workstation means someone else can build it, upload it,
> do an NMU; hell, you could even use the Debian machine farm (unless
> the workstation is your only access at all, which is quite a different
> question).

Oh hey, just the same as a failed buildd, then.

Except that one of these things is easy, and one is not.

> If you're going to assert that the buildds are breaking packages, please
> provide some backing to the assertion; showing that maintainers break
> packages is a trivial excercise in reading the BTS.

So is showing that buildds break packages. Although a number of those
issues don't go through the BTS. They're probably about as reliable as
some random maintainer workstation - which makes sense, why should
they be any better?

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |