Re: FTBFS: architecture all packages

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:02:13 -0500, Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org> said:

> On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 05:28, Andreas Barth wrote:
>> * Brian May (bam@debian.org) [030817 07:05]:
>> > Is it still a requirement that packages must be able to build
>> > from source, even though they do not need to get built from
>> > source?
>>
>> When and escpecially why should that have been changed?
>>
>> And: usually the packages _are_ built from source if they are for
>> architecture: all, at least for all-1 architectures.

> You're confusing arch: any and arch: all. arch: all pacakges are
> rarely, if ever, rebuilt (and I don't believe they're ever rebuilt
> automatically).

	I am not sure I can agree with this. In the past, mistakes in
 my arch: all packages have been caught fairly swiftly by helpful
 folks who apparently _do_ rebuild arch: all packages.

	And I can see people wanting to locally rebuild packages for
 security reasons, including arch: all ones.

	manoj
--
There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers,
having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and