Re: Debian in a changeroot

Joerg Platte <jplatte@jako.ping.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I installed Debian in a changeroot environment to provide an "rsyncable" image
> for a computer pool. Updates and new programs can be installed easily by
> invoking dselect or apt-get in the changeroot. Replacing
> /sbin/start-stop-daemon permanently[1] (using dpkg-divert) with a shell
> skript that does nothing but exiting with a returncode of zero prevents most
> daemons from being (re)started during an update. But some init.d-scripts
> don't use the start-stop-daemon binary to start a daemon (e. g. bluez-sdp).
> This results in daemons running in the changeroot and may affect the same
> daemon running outside the changeroot.
>
> Is there a recommended way to prevent daemons from being started in an
> changeroot during an update? Should I file a bug report against packages not
> using start-stop-daemon?

You can create your chroot with debootstrap and this will install some
different files, like start-stop-deamon.

It works great. My servers are running with it, although I need to go
and start my services by hand if my main server goes down, but as it
should never go down I haven't yet worried about it ;)