Re: Ideas about allowing Co-maintainer

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 01:35:07PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > * Nicolas Bertolissio (nico.bertol@free.fr) [030814 13:20]:
>
> > > An NMU can then be done if the package maintainer does not answer to
> > > this patch. So you don't need to have a co-maintainer, you just have to
> > > make a NMU, which is just what the new co-maintainer would do.
>
> > Would you sponsor Marc, Goswin or myself for a NMU? Would you sponsor
> > for a co-maintainer upload? That's the important difference.
>
> So you want to be *declared* a co-maintainer in order to convince people
> they should sponsor you?  You're only a co-maintainer if your name shows
> up in the Uploaders: field of the package; how are you going to persuade
> someone to make /that/ change in a sponsored NMU?
>
> If you don't have the cooperation of the original maintainer, it's not
> co-maintainership.  If you /do/ have the cooperation of the original
> maintainer, he should in all likelihood be your first choice for a
> sponsor, and I wouldn't sponsor a co-maintainer upload either without
> understanding why the primary maintainer isn't uploading it.

You would point at policy or at a co-maintainer-hijacking-practice.txt
and say it due to unresponsiveness of the maintainer.

Also the thread alone of saying "I would like to help and policy says I
could just hijack co-maintainership" makes things a more urgent
busyness.

It would be like the delayed NMU. Unless the maintainer gets out of
bed and does something he will have no say in it.

MfG
        Goswin