Re: Should md5 password settings be preserved across upgrades?

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 06:50:12PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:53:46 -0500, Steve Langasek
> <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:
> >On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:12:40PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> >> I would love to see the installator's decision to use md5 passwords to
> >> be honored during the foo => sarge upgrade. Are there already plans to
> >> establish a mechanism to allow this?

> >Yes, there are plans to add a set of new, non-conffile config files into
> >the PAM setup which will contain "common" module settings that can be
> >included from other service-specific conffiles using the (apparently
> >Debian-specific) "@include" syntax.  I intend for this to be resolved
> >prior to sarge's release;

> Will there be a smooth upgrade path from potato/woody, or will manual
> intervention be necessary?

Oh, well, I guess that depends on how good of a job we do; but
certainly, the goal is to provide a smooth upgrade path.

> In which PAM files do I need to write md5 clauses to have md5
> passwords used everywhere? Is there more like the three files I
> originally mentioned?

By the time we're done, /etc/pam.d/other should be the only file that
this particular change would need to be made to.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer