Re: better make a standard for /etc/*/*_not_to_be_run

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 04:40:50PM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 01:00:50AM -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> > /etc/default/snmpd is sourced by the
> > startup script and sets a variable SNMPDRUN=yes.
>
> I realy dont like abuse of a "default" directoryx for system local config.
> Otherwise i like this schema, it is like irix was doing it, and as redhat is
> doing it with sysconf.

Yes, I'd really prefer to see /etc/default/ used for just that: package
*defaults*.  The files in there should not be conffiles, and packages
should be free to overwrite files in there in the event that new
versions have different appropriate default values.  Then provide a
similar mechanism for sysadmins to override those defaults.

The BSD systesms have /etc/default/rc.conf, for example, which is
sourced by system startup scripts to set some default shell values.  A
sysadmin that doesn't want to change the defaults doesn't need to do
anything.  If he does want to change the defaults, he simply needs to
put the variable assignment in /etc/rc.conf, which is also sourced by
the system startup scripts, but *after* /etc/default/rc.conf.

This is a very clean mechanism, and perhaps best of all it provides a
very clear distinction between the distribution defaults and the local
system defaults.

But, with invoke-rc.d and our runlevel structure, do we need to use such
a mechanism for determining whether or not to run a daemon?

noah