Re: About NM and Next Release

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 17:59:52 +0100
Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:32:07AM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:
> Start with the things about Debian which are distinctly different from
> other projects. You should be able to find some things which you want
> to do which depend on these things. If not... well, why *are* you here?

    Would that fall under the preview of liking Debian?

> I write software because I can, and I release it as free software
> because that makes it better over time. Others will vary (I'm not in
> the mood for writing an essay on the subject).

    Yes, but your choices were determined by what you liked.  If not then
you're the odd individual.

    Why do I write free software?  Because I believe in giving back to the
community that I've gotten so much from.  I believe that the ideals set forth
coupled with the fact it doesn't cost me anything in the short or long run
means I stand to lose nothing and gain a while lot.

    But let's continue it.  Why did I write the program I wrote?

    Because I like sa-exim.  Because I like how it works and needed a tool to
help out on area of it's operation.

    Why did I write it in wxPython using Boa-Constructor?

    Because I like Python.  wxPython seemed to be an easy and fast way to
write what I needed.  Boa-Constructor helped in that.  In the end I had fun
working on the code and still do so even though the program is to a level
where it suits my needs.

    So to break it down into keywords.  Community, ideals, value, like, need
and fun.  "Because it was there" doesn't enter into the picture.