Re: About NM and next release

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:58:10PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Andrew Suffield said:
> >On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 04:56:44PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> <snip>
> >> Wrong.  There have been specific technical things I wanted to do
> >> which simply cannot be done easily as an outsider.
>                                ^^^^^^
> >>
> >> Generally it's QA stuff.  I'm doing it anyway, of course; it's just
> >> slower and more tedious and discouraging.
> >
> >You just contradicted yourself. It's clearly not wrong - you *are*
> No, I didn't contradict myself.  Read what I said again carefully,
> noticing the word which I pointed out for you.  That word is 'easily'.
> I *am* doing the work, but I am *not* doing it easily; I am instead
> doing it with difficulty.  Got it?

And you've missed my point entirely.

> >doing it anyway. So the system works as it is supposed to.
> The system is supposed to make it hard for people to contribute?
> That seems dumb. :-)
>
> OK, I admit to deliberately twisting your meaning a little in that last
> paragraph, but I'm trying to make a point.  "The system" actively
> discourages people from contributing, and makes it hard for their
> contributions to be used in a timely fashion.  This seems bad to me.

Actually it isn't. It helps to reduce the crap; if we allowed
*anybody* to upload packages, then we'd have a lot more useless
packages than we already do. Requiring at least some minimal effort
means people will usually constrain themselves to things they actually
think are worthwhile. But that's just a coincidental side-effect, not
a cause.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |