Re: About NM and next release

Andrew Suffield said:
>On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 04:56:44PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
<snip>
>> Wrong.  There have been specific technical things I wanted to do
>> which simply cannot be done easily as an outsider.
                               ^^^^^^

>> Generally it's QA stuff.  I'm doing it anyway, of course; it's just
>> slower and more tedious and discouraging.
>
>You just contradicted yourself. It's clearly not wrong - you *are*
No, I didn't contradict myself.  Read what I said again carefully,
noticing the word which I pointed out for you.  That word is 'easily'.
I *am* doing the work, but I am *not* doing it easily; I am instead
doing it with difficulty.  Got it?

>doing it anyway. So the system works as it is supposed to.
The system is supposed to make it hard for people to contribute?
That seems dumb. :-)

OK, I admit to deliberately twisting your meaning a little in that last
paragraph, but I'm trying to make a point.  "The system" actively
discourages people from contributing, and makes it hard for their
contributions to be used in a timely fashion.  This seems bad to me.

This slowdown effect probably contributes to how long it takes Debian to
resolve some issues, and the tediously long release cycle.  *shrug*

--
I guess you probably meant that because I am already demonstrating
stuff, I do have a good reason to join Debian, and do not have to be

I think we're on the same page, basically.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden at gcc.gnu.org>
http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html