Re: How to install X-Chat in five hours (or more)

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 10:19:53AM -0700, Ian Hickson wrote:

> And I would scream if you called it "/_My_ Variable Data/" too... :-P

I would even scream at

/Variable Data/

simply because it encourages slow and RSI-inducing click and drag
behaviour, because such path names are impossible to type in (and this
one even requires escaping the space to distinguish between the argument
separator).

Don't underestimate the typing convenience of TLAs! They may not be the
most descriptive, but at least they're blindingly fast to work with when
you get used to it.

In short, such path names are definitely no improvement from a UI
standpoint, even though it may seem that way from a casual observer.
Even shorter: UIs are rarely obvious. And there must be a reason why
geeks like working with Unix.

One thing for me is that the command line allows me to work almost as
quickly as I think. I really hate it when the UI drags me down ('open
folder, open subfolder, click on file, type Ctrl-C, open other folder,
type Ctrl-V', it's just horrible). The computer should wait for me, not
the other way around!

Cheers,

Emile.

--