Re: How to install X-Chat in five hours (or more)

> I think Debian's package system is remarkably nice. Unfortunately,
> it's UI leaves a lot to be desired. The biggest problem is probably
> the package names: "freetype", "pango", "libgtk2.0", etc, mean
> absolutely nothing to me, as a user, and I really shouldn't ever have
> to even see these packages.
>
> I really think aptitude should only show end user packages with
> decent, readable, localised names ("Apache Web Server", "x Chat (IRC
> Client)", "Infrared Control for XMMS"). At the moment the user is
> completely overwhelmed by the list of packages, which is not helped by
> the fact that each one comes with a dozen or more libraries,
> extensions, and so forth.

Some people like Ian Hickson don't want to see package names like libgtk2.0.
But _I_ want to see this, I am sys admin and want to know exactly what I am
putting on _my_ systems.

Just one of the reasons why I like GNU/Linux ... I know what I'm doing!

Anyway, does this mean we need something like a GNU/Linux Debian and a
GNU/Linux Debian For Dummies showing only icons?

Fred
--
    http://www.linox.be

    L I N U X       .~.