Re: How to install X-Chat in five hours (or more)

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 10:33, Ian Hickson wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I was amused to see my blog post [1] made it to this list. I figured
> I'd clarify a few points which were omitted from that blog in the
> interests of brevity and humour.
>
> Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:
> > Unfortunately, his main problem is "Having not used Debian for about
> > 8 years".
>
> Most of your new users (all of them in fact, by definition!) will
> never have used Debian before. This should not stop them using your
> product.

What I meant with that is that your main problem is that you have an old linux
user approach. A typical new user won't even try to build from sources.

[snip]
> After reading the whole man page, I did try apt-get install libgtk1.2,
> but then I got the whole conflict problem I mention later in my blog.

This is the problem with pinning. It is not easy to handle for beginners
(especially if they are by themselves), and it is IMHO a very bad idea from
whoever installed a Debian system on your laptop to have put different
releases sources in the sources.list file.

[snip]
> (After all, apt-get had just failed me, why would it succeed now?)

Because Dr. Murphy sometimes forgets to annoy you ? ;)

[snip]
> Yeah. Unfortunately, to support my radeon chipset I have to use the
> unstable version apparently.

I think the "testing" version works at least in 2D for every radeon chip. What
can't be denied, is that X is not the easiest part to configure on a Debian
system...

> > (though it's equally possible that he did this himself, making random
> > changes without understanding them in the hope of making things work)
>
> Nope, I wouldn't even have known where to start with respect to using
> unstable releases if it wasn't for the kind people on #mozilla. :-)

When trying to solve debian issues, try #debian ;)

Mike

--
"Do you know what's the best thing about being me ? There's so many me ! "
-- Agent Smith Reloaded