Re: libraries being removed from the archive

#include <hallo.h>
* LapTop006 [Sun, Aug 03 2003, 03:13:57PM]:

> > IMHO we need to make an addition to policy stating that an old lib can
> > not be removed from the archive until no other packages still depend on
> > it.
> How about old libraries can not be removed until either no packages
> depend on it OR the author files RC bugs with any dependent pakcages
> (and hopefully waits for at least a day in case of any major problems)?

Old libraries are removed since only one version can exist in the same
distro branch to the same time. If the library maintainer decided not to
fork the source package but change the binary package name inside of
existing three then he does not care about the users of his package.
Such actions (in-place transition) should always be done in coordination
with fellow developers as happened in the Perl transition, for example.

MfG,
Eduard.
--
Genossen können nicht die Faust ballen, weil sie überall die Finger
drin haben.