Re: debconf 2005 in Vienna, Austria

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:34:10AM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 02:06:48PM +0300, Riku Voipio wrote:
> >
> > Yes. a debcamp of users would probably blow some fuse :)
>
> Speaking as someone who's held an FRA (US Federal Railroad Administration)
> crew and fireman cert - it's unlikely, unless you do something that would
> overload a normal house circuit.

You are aware that due to the high heat we had in france this early
summer, lot of train going to the south of france did blew a fuse or
something because of the climatisation or something such, and thus where
delayed various hours (until the time became cooler, the climatisation
used less current and thus the whole train could go forward or something
such). So maybe the use of a lot of power for notebooks, some using
quite hot processors, could in addition to the climatisation problem be
a problem.

Of course, i don't really have any idea of what the problem really was,
so it is quite possible that what i say is just plain stupid.

> Diesel locomotives are a giant diesel generator hooked up to electric
> traction motors, running through the switchbox at something like 600v
> (I haven't read the specs in a while, this might be off - but it's high
> enough to warrant being really careful around). Don't even ask about the
> amperage. Sapping off a little power to run a few household outlets is, by
> comparison, peanuts. Or, really, peanut crumbs.

But killing the AC at over 40°C is not a nice way of traveling.

Friendly,

Sven Luther