Re: setuid/setgid binaries contained in the Debian repository.

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 13:09:09 -0400, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> said:

> On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:39:24PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> You are now talking about putting things into policy that require
>> maintainerrs to change program behaviour to attain similar
>> functionality and features; and all the examples you quote are
>> about packaging details that are under our control completely.

> No, we are talking about recommending that developers discuss with
> other developers before making a change to their package which is

	So, we do not need to discuss this if there is no change being
 made, ie, packages which are already setgid games? Or if the package
 being newly inducted depends on being sgid?

> likely to affect the security of every system where the package is
> installed.  File permissions and program privileges are clearly a
> packaging matter.  What is the nature of your objection?

	You are being disengenuous. If a program needs to write files
 shared by other users when it is run (save files, high score files,
 macro definitions), and uses a group writable directory (after taking
 precautions internally that the files being written ought to be
 written to, etc), just changing the file permissions without changing
 the program shall render the program unusable.

	Making the dir world writable is not a solution, and indeed,
 is worse for security.

	manoj