[PROPOSAL] Debian Release Plan [was: Re: Future releases of Debian]

Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:
[...]
> [3] http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/Debian/freeze

Reading the  whole "Future  releases of Debian"  thread, I  thought that
the main idea was that Debian need a more 'readable' status for the next
stable release.

I propose  to create  a meta-package called  'release-status-sarge' that
depends on packages (with version number) that we want to see in sarge.

Each maintainer has  to fill a bug report to include  his package in the
next release  and explain why the  release has to wait  for this package
(or/ and this  version of the package). We can  have different bug level
for the importance to include the package or not.

The  release-status-sarge maintainer  can then  add the  package  in the
Depends field with the version number and close the bug, or he (she) can
tag the  bug 'wontfix' and  explain why the  package will not be  in the
next release. He (or she) can also ask for moreinfo.

Why a meta-package and not a virtual-package?

If we have  a meta-package, we can use 'grep-excuse' to  see "who we are
waiting for?", in addition with the BTS, it's a lot of informations.

We can also submit  other bugs against the release-status-sarge package,
like "Too many  RC Bugs" or any other information on  why the release is
nt ready yet.

I think Adrian is  right when he want more release. I  think the idea of
having a Debian release a year is not so bad, but I do not like the idea
of a dead-line for Debian releases. I think that "Next release of Debian
will happen when  it is ready" should be a general  way of thinking even
in other areas! This does not mean we do not need a strict release plan,
but I prefer to base the release plan on targets, not on dates.

Clear release goals not a release date.

Also,  Debian has  developed  lot of  interresting  concepts, ideas  and
tools, my idea  is just to use some of  them, no additional development,
to clarify stable release plan and goals to Debian users and even Debian
developers.

Any comments are appreciate, thank you for your time,

Note: I could also call  the proposal "Debian Release Unified Goals" but
      finally I don't think it's a good idea ;)

-- Arnaud Vandyck
   http://alioth.debian.org/users/arnaud-guest/