Re: How to gracefully rename a package?

Am 24.07.03 um 16:51:11 schrieb Daniel Kobras:
> This has already been proposed as "Previously:" (#33344), and
> "Successor-of:" (#77325), but is probably nothing that dpkg itself can
> take care of (cf. #33344).
Cool, so many names...

I'm aware that it's not dpkg's responsibility. It's not necessary, dpkg
is really low level.

Things like this have to be implemented in frontends anyway. (Didn't I
say that in my last mail?) And that's OK, people shouldn't use backends
or be aware of the problems that they might be getting.

Many people use apt-get as their frontend, although it's supposed to be
a backend. I believe that's wrong. But anyway it could be integrated
into apt-get as well, even if Jason disagrees.
root (~) # apt-get install fileutils
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package fileutils
root (~) # apt-get install coreutils
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  fileutils shellutils textutils
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Bye,
    Mike

--