Re: [devel] proposal: per-user temporary directories on by default?

Re: Re: [devel] proposal: per-user temporary directories on by default? [Martin Pool <mbp@sourcefrog.net>, Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 03:10:57PM +1000, <[🔎] pan.2003.07.24.05.10.55.519956@sourcefrog.net>]
> Having decided to do it through PAM, is it really necessary to change the
> VFS rather than setting $TMPDIR?  Making it impossible to get to the real
> /tmp makes it a bit more intrusive and potentially confusing than really
> seems necessary.  Given that there is a TMPDIR variable which is obeyed
> in most cases, using it seems to be easier than remapping /tmp.

Remapping /tmp would confuse more than it would do good. Besides PAM,
users can still set $TMPDIR in their startup files.

BTW: Some programs use $TEMP or $TMP, should we file bugs to make them
use $TMPDIR instead?

Christoph
--
Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de>, http://www.df7cb.de
Wohnheim D, 2405, Universität des Saarlandes, 0681/9657944