Re: mplayer 0.90, was Re: why mplayer not in Debian

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 10:18:22AM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi, Sam Hocevar wrote:
>
> > ("statically linked for performance reasons", rotfl)
>
> Well, when the glibc people had this discussion (the switch to ELF), the
> performance penalty was found to be on the order of 5%.
>
> I don't know whether modern CPUs' register aliasing hardware changes that
> number.

On anything more recent than a 486, the answer is not a percentage,
it's a research paper. Just to _describe_ the performance
implications. And it's a different paper for each processor.

On something like ia64, I don't think anybody even knows. At least,
I've never seen a study of it.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |