Re: Future releases of Debian

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 04:50:06AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> For example, I tend to buy cheap hardware wherever possible, especially
> for running desktop Linux since they're generally much faster than I
> need anyway; but this means I tend to get built-in graphics, networking
> and so forth. Most of which tend to be supported on Linux, but only by
> the latest versions of X and the kernel.

Where I come from, cheap hardware is old hardware, and old hardware has much
better support in Linux (and Debian) than new hardware.

> > I am entirely in favor of a shorter release cycle.
>
> Which isn't a particularly useful comment when, eg, we don't have working
> X 4.3 packages in the archive, almost five months after it was released.

Which isn't a particularly useful comment, when all of the hardware I work
with is happy with what is in unstable, and most of it with woody, too.

> (On the other hand, if you really want a shorter release cycle, there's
> always testing, which releases every day. All it really needs for us to be
> able to recommend people use it is security updates...)

We have been through this already.  Security updates for testing would be
more work than security updates for stable, and stable is already too much
work.

--
 - mdz