Multi-level symlinks for default kernel

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problems I am with debian
keeping the vmlinuz symlink in /.

I have several systems where /boot is the only filesystem accessable by the
boot loader because of software raid, or possibly lvm (haven't done this
yet, but thinking about it).

I regularly build my own kernels with make-kpkg, so I changed it to put the
vmlinuz symlink in /boot, and changed my menu.lst file in grub to use this
symlink to boot from.

So here's the thing.  I'd like to make these changes available, but I don't
know what policies this might need changing to accomidate this.

So, here's the two changes that need to be done before hand to make a more
flexable system in the default install.

ln -s /boot/vmlinuz /vmlinuz

echo 'link_in_boot := True' >> /etc/kernel-pkg.conf

I've CCed the lilo, grub, and kernel-package maintainers to get your views
on this change.

Then I can submit a copule patches to grub (they're not ready yet), and lilo
will see no changes (because the symlink is only read from a running system,
and not at boot).

PS, Yes, I know I and many others could make the root filesystem
non-raid/lvm, but why wouldn't you want redundancy for some of the most
import config files in /etc on your raid?  And how else are you going to do
that than have / on raid1/raid5?  And if you personally like it or not,
there are people who do this already, and why not make a couple changes that
will make no difference in many cases, and other cases make it easier to
setup a new system like this.

Anyway, I don't want this to turn into a flamewar about root on raid/lvm.

I'm looking forward to your comments.

Thanks,

Mike