Re: Future releases of Debian

Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> writes:

> My point was the other way round:
> Commercial distributions dont't force you to switch to a new release
> every few months. This is similar to Debian (but they offer you more
> frequent updates if you want them).

Is there any scope for offering more updates to the stable release.
Currently they are restricted to fixing security holes and serious
bugs.

For example, the version of gimp-print in Debian woody is 4.2.0-4.
While there is only one open bug affecting woody only (#149324), it's
causing problems for some users and later stable releases fix this.
The current upstream stable release is 4.2.5, and I've been running
backported woody packages of the current gimp-print stable release
since the woody release.  That is to say, I have a set of
tried-and-tested packages which could be included in a stable
point-release which would be a painless upgrade from the originals.
There would be little danger of breaking existing working
configurations, and the increased print quality and wider model
support would benefit many users.

The new release supports new models of printers, so this is a similar
situation to XFree86 graphics card support.

I contacted the SRM about the possibility of inclusion of gimp-print
4.2.5-1woody0 in a point release, but I've not had any reply yet.  It
doesn't meed the usual criteria for a stable release, but this type of
update would greatly improve the "woody experience" for users of
stable.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh

                GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848 available on public keyservers