Re: default MTA for sarge

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:24:33PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > http://www-dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~ma/postfix/bench2.html
> > >
> > > on the same hardware, with the same test loads, postfix is 2-5 times faster
> > > than exim.
> >
> > A thousand consecutive mails to a single recipient is a mail bomb and rather
>
> no, 1000 test mails to a single recipient is not a mail bomb, it is a
> reasonable simulation of a mail server under moderate load.  it's just a
> hell of a lot easier to test than creating 1000 mail boxes.

Sure, but real world performance is tested on thousands on different users,
not one user. Creating and/or updating 1000 mailboxes, or sending out some
random percentage of mails on to other mail servers, these are real
variables, which may cloud the benchmark of raw MTA capabilities with a lot
of overhead, but they reflects a real mail server rather than some imaginary
testing-only setup.

Note that this isn't meant to imply that e.g. Exim or Postfix would do
better or worse if these parameters were adjusted.

It's like testing hard drive performance by moving a randomly generated,
extremely large file from location A to location B fifty times. That
provides us with a statistic, sure, but that statistic is practically
useless. :)

> > than expecting stunning performance from MTA in helping the user get annoyed,
> > any admin would reach for the banning commands ASAP. The result remotely
> > relevant to the real world is the last one, one with 100 mails to 10
> > recipients. Frankly, I expected the margin to be in Postfix's favor
> > considerably more than 125/s vs. 91/s.
>
> but 100 mails to 10 recipients barely gets the mail system ramped up :)

Which, in turn, means you agree with me that this test was not particularly
inclusive? :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.