Re: default MTA for sarge

Op wo 16-07-2003, om 11:39 schreef Marco d'Itri:
> On Jul 15, "Noah L. Meyerhans" <noahm@debian.org> wrote:
>
>  >Exim *does not run as root*.  OK?  It starts as root to bind to port 25.
>  >Period.  It then drops root privilages and runs as uid mail.  Deliveries
>  >are not done as root, but as mail.
> Do you mean that home directories, .forward files and so on must be
> world readable? This sucks...

No, those are all done using the appropriate UID. Remote deliveries and
deliveries to /var/mail are done using UID mail, though.

>  >Exim4.  Why?  Flexibility, performance, and ease of configuration.  Look
> Get real. I do not argue that exim is not flexible or performant, but it
> is definitely not easy to configure. Its config file is like smail done
> right, but it's still like smail FFS!

'easy' is a subjective criterion. What you find easy to configure may be
a hell for me.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"An expert can usually spot the difference between a fake charge and a