Re: default MTA for sarge

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:01:14 +1000
Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:
> exim, however isn't.  it's configuration still looks and feels pretty much
> like smail, and nobody ever accused smail of being simple and easy to
> configure. clumsy and awkward, generally....."simple" only relative to
> sendmail.cf

    Glad to see you're still up to your old tricks, Craig.  Sorry, because of
this discussion I downloaded the latest stable version of Postfix to see what
the configuration files were like.  After about an hour I still hadn't wrapped
my brain around it.  I started Googling for some common things I do in Exim
(SA, for example) and couldn't even find a simple walkthrough.  Hell, I wasn't
even sure how I would relay for MX hosts in that time.  The access lists seem
to be horrid since they are based on the arbitrary order of the headers!

    Contrast that to Exim where I had it up and running in short order and
poking through the configuration file I was able to easily open up my relays
for secondary MX, open up relays for static IPs that I would send mail from
and when it came time to put SA into action I was able to find a walkthrough
that got it working in under 10m.  To me Exim's configuration (even the
maligned Exim4 conf.d) seems far easier to understand than postfix and seems
far better documented.

    So where do we stand?  You have your opinion, I have mine and neither of
them really applies to anyone else, now does it?