Re: default MTA for sarge

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shalehperry@comcast.net> wrote:
> *MANY* admins have used Debian for years.  We know exim inside and out.  If I
> sit down at a Debian machine I expect to find exim there.  When doing rapid
> installs I do not have to bother switching out the MTA.

> I think this is one of the most compelling reasons.  Things that are the
> default are what many, many people learn.  Changing that default causes some
> level of pain and work.  As you said, postfix while cool and all is not that
> much better to warrant the change.

> Somehow I managed to miss the exim4 rollout.  Need to schedule some time
> reading and experimenting with it.

You really should. <Advertising mode for upstream features> Exim4's
design is a lot more intuitive as it does away with the the separation
between "directors" and "routers" completely and replaces the whoele
mess of myriads verify_foo, callout_foo, relay_blah options with the
wonderful world of ACLs.</>

> hmm, as I went to press 'send' a counter-item came to me.

> The only place I have ever seen exim installed is Debian.  RH still insists on
> using sendmail by default (may $deity be merciful) but at least ships postfix
> as an option.

> Is that enough to warrant a switch?  Dunno.

Suse afaik has made postfix the default MTA. BTW there are wonderful
RPMS of exim4 for RedHat available on ftp.exim.org.
                  cu andreas
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_