Re: default MTA for sarge

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 02:45:26PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:

> There's still Exim 3. I agree that having to switch to a text-only program
> rather than another instance of debconf is visually unappealing and likely
> hindering for automated installations, and that it is software that's dead
> upstream, but Exim 3's exim.conf files are reasonably well done, it's not
> hard to keep pressing enters for newbies, and the whole process and
> documentation are obviously better tested than with the new Exim.

Ever tried pressing enter repeatedly in response to exim's questions?
This is my first reaction whenever I forget to yank exim at the
beginning of the install -- it doesn't actually work... :)

For a sensible default, we should have an MTA that takes local error
mails and delivers them *somewhere*, even if this is only
/var/mail/root, without any user interaction required.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer