Re: Excessive wait for DAM - something needs to be done

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 01:07:08 -0600
"Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> wrote:
> > > And also, it discouraged me from applying for new maintainer - I
> > > figured if some people were waiting for two or three years I would
> > > have no hope of getting in in less time.
> >
> > If you thought you needed to be an official maintainer to contribute
> > to Debian in any meaningful way, I hope you will reconsider. That's
> > simply not the case, and I can attest to it through personal
> > experience.
>
> While that is true, there are certain contributions (such as active
> package maintainence) that require official maintainership or for the
> contributor to constantly burden someone that is an official maintainer
> to upload their packages.

I (more or less) actively maintain six packages, and I comaintain four
(rather non-trivial or important) packages.

Doing this has not required burdening somebody to upload my packages
constantly. It *has* required me to be an active part of the community -
there are any number of people who upload my packages for me. I think
there's been about a dozen different people so far. No one person has
probably done an upload more than once every three months. That's hardly
a "burden".

Frankly, I find the wide third-party auditing of my packages invaluable.
Not because they're in bad shape, but because I often get really good
ideas on how to do things.

People are a lot more willing to audit your packages if they're going to
do an upload anyways - anybody who has been in the NM queue long enough
(and who actually had any interest to begin with - keep in mind I know
at least three people who just went through the process for shits and
giggles) to have some complaint about the process likely knows enough
people for it to not be a problem. If they *don't* know enough people
who are willing to do uploads for them (so that they can get an upload
done promptly, without begging and whining) should start getting those
connections made. Debian is a community, and more than one person has
been disallowed the ability to make their own uploads because they have
demonstrated a marked unwillingness to act within the bounds of that
community.