Re: default MTA for sarge

On Sunday 13 July 2003 11:02, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 10:26:18AM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > In another post I mentioned that the only reason I have a local mail
> > daemon setup on some machines is to allow reportbug to work.  It occurs
> > to me that perhaps (*PERHAPS*) during the install we could query:
>
> what about cron mails? I realy think /usr/sbin/sendmail should a mta which
> is able to deliver mails, for the sake of administrative mails. This
> includes reportbug, cron, some MUAs, and even debconf or dpkg-listchanges.

and all of the Debian machines I have ever maintained the root mail
essentially went to /dev/null.

At work, my machines tend to use NIS, there is no local account to send to.
Yeah they could be configured to go to one machine where someone reads them
but in the long run no one ever reads the root mail.

I guess I am saying nothing truly important on a desktop system ever came to
me from local email.  Servers tend to use a very different setup and pretty
much fall into the "we know what we are doing, leave us alone" category.