I.T. Hijack findutils

Hello,
I intend to (temporarily) hijack findutils as Kevin Dalley still has
not found more (any?) time to invest in it. The last discussion about
this was in February:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200302/msg00119.html
Quoting "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako@debian.org>:
|On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 08:18:06PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
|> On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:11:53AM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
|>> Never mind. Mako was able to reach Kevin by phone today. He's well,
|>> just busy; he also wants to remain the maintainer of findutils
|>> (upstream and Debian).
|
|> He wants this, but is he able to do it? The findutils bug list is long
|> and NMUs have been plentiful.
|
| He said on the phone that we was trying to catch up and seemed more
| surprised that I'd called than anything else. As such, its probably
| worth giving him a bit more time.
|
| In terms of procedure, I feel like a call on the phone, which is about
| as intrusive as we can get, is a very effective way to prod people
| toward work. It's also makes a reasonable "last step."
|
| If nothing moves in the next couple weeks, I can call him again and/or
| we can try to arrange for something else.
|
| The good news of course that he seems to be doing alright.
|--------------------------------

Imho another 5 months waiting period should have been enough and he is
not upstream maintainer anymore, James Youngman has taken over.

Of course if he has more time to spare and wants to maintain findutils
again I'll be happy to give it back.

Why don't I just make an NMU?
* Because it is not what the package needs. - There is not just
one or two RC-bugs which are waiting for an upload, but the package
needs a major overhaul (Standards-Version: 3.5.2.0) and the BTS needs
a big cleanup.

What have I done yet?
* I've repackaged 4.1.20 almost from scratch using debhelper and
  dpatch. - I'll need to do more testing.
* I've started forwarding the patches in the Debian-package to
  upstream's BTS.
* I've started going through the BTS, merging, forwarding and replying
  to submitters.

I had already posted a shorter version of this mail to qa, but somehow
I thought this was not enough.
              cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_