Re: default MTA for sarge

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 10:31:51AM +0200, Joey Hess wrote:
> For sarge we have two options for the default MTA in base:
> a. replace exim with exim4
> b. no MTA installed by default, add a MTA task
> So do we want there to be a MTA by default?

Since woody didn't release with exim4 at all, I'm all for releasing with
exim 3 by default, having exim 4 there for people who want it, and then
in sarge+1 swapping it over for exim4 by default, then exim3 there if
you want it. sarge+2 can remove exim3.

the MTA is such a fundamental part of a linux system that it seems utter
folly to remove it. We should perhaps work on making the default
configuration simpler for novice users, but it would be fairly damned
silly if in a default installation cron couldn't email reports.

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                               http://www.digital-scurf.org/
Hostmaster, Webmaster, and Chief Code Wibbler          Digital-Scurf Unlimited