Re: Work-needing packages report for Jul 11, 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 08:49:46AM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>  >    docbook-to-man (#154590), orphaned 347 days ago
>  >      Reverse Depends: gtk-doc-tools
>
>  If gtk-doc-tools depends on this, perhaps the GTK+ folk care to
>  maintain a package that, from the description alone, consists of a
>  script and some style sheets?

I use this extensively in my packages, but I'm not so good with the base
SGML stuff in Debian yet. If I get with the program I will probably
adopt this one.

>  >    gdkxft (#173651), orphaned 203 days ago
>  >      gtk+-1.2

DIE KILL DIE KILL DIE KILL this has given me nothing but *problems*

>  >    gtk-engines-cleanice (#162410), orphaned 287 days ago
>
>  And I thought this was one of thise 37337 engines that are on the
>  must-install-in-all-boxes list.

Again, I still need to get with the picture, this time WRT GTK+ theme engines
in general. ATM I'm treating them like a black box of C code which Just Works

>  >    kernel-image-2.2.20-udma100-ext3-i386 (#158152), orphaned 433 days ago
>  >      2.2.20-udma100-ext3
>  >      Reverse Depends: pcmcia-modules-2.2.20-udma100-ext3

Personally I'd pull this one for next release. Are many people still
using it? It seems patched to the kills and probably not so great. (2.2
just by itself isn't so great too...)

>  >    kernel-patch-ethernet-drivers (#158153), orphaned 433 days ago
>
>  Which are apparently not needed anymore, uh?

Correct. These are all in 2.4.21, aren't they? I'd pull it

>  >    kernel-patch-ext3-2.2 (#158154), orphaned 433 days ago
>
>  Aaaaah... more old patches...

Same

>  >    pclock (#156523), orphaned 331 days ago

wmclock is more my cup of tea

>  >    snes9express (#174126), orphaned 199 days ago
>
>  Not into Nintendos anymore, uh?

Actually using 'snes9x' by itself once the whole shebang is set up is a
lot easier than using this very silly GUI. I'd pull it, but it is
something that sounds like people are interested in

>  >    svgalib (#173471), orphaned 205 days ago
>  Of all those people, someone surely has an interest in this.  Or
>  perhaps it's time to just drop this crash-inducing security-scary
>  package?

This one kind of shocked me. I sure hope it conflicts with
harden-something. And directfb has mostly superseded it for computers
where you would expect to be able to do things fairly smoothly.

>  >    xkbsel (#172021), orphaned 216 days ago
>  >      keyboards.
>  Oh-key.

[badum-tish]

>  >    xtrojka (#156524), orphaned 331 days ago (non-free)
>
>  YATP.  And it's non-free!

It sucks, IMHO. xemeraldia beats the stuffing out of many tetris
packages, and don't forget crack-attack ;D

Just my 2 $SMALLEST_DENOMINATION

-Josh

--
"Notice that, written there, rather legibly, in the Baroque style common
to New York subway wall writers, was, uhm... was the old familiar

       -- Art Garfunkel on the inspiration for "A Poem On The Underground Wall"