Re: Work-needing packages report for Jul 11, 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

>  >    g5 (#165500), orphaned 264 days ago
>
>  Not an attractive one?

   It's still gtk1 and uses O and X characters to display the pieces,
so "not attractive" is probably the correct description. The AI seems
OK though. I ported it to gtk2 and will send patches to the BTS when I
have some time.

>  >    gtk-engines-cleanice (#162410), orphaned 287 days ago
>
>  And I thought this was one of thise 37337 engines that are on the
>  must-install-in-all-boxes list.

   I use it. If no one show interest in it, I'll adopt the package and
maintain it until gtk1 is no longer used (as if).

>  >    svgalib (#173471), orphaned 205 days ago
>  >      (...)
>
>  Of all those people, someone surely has an interest in this.  Or
>  perhaps it's time to just drop this crash-inducing security-scary
>  package?

   Is anyone working on this? svgalib is x86 only, doesn't work with
most cards and needs root, but it is very fast. And upstream is not very
active these days, but the pre-2 releases looked promising. I would like
to help in any effort done on the svgalib packages, but I do not feel
like adopting it since I only have two different video cards.

   In the other hand, porting an svgalib program so that it uses SDL
instead is not extremely difficult (I did it for gravitywars), and SDL
has an svgalib backend so almost no features are lost.

--
Sam.