Re: eicar.com installer in Debian, and pre-upload interface to ftpmaster

* Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) [030705 12:05]:
> On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 11:08:04AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > * Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) [030705 10:50]:

> > > So, let me get this straight: you think that if a volunteer does some
> > > work then it should be accepted into Debian unconditionally? No matter
> > > what? Because that's what you seem to be saying.

> > Marc is doing it the other way: He want an interface to reject a
> > package before substantial work has been spent on it. So there
> > shouldn't be this conflict any more, which would be a good thing.

> That's pointless, I think. If I were an ftpmaster I would not be willing
> to render an opinion on a package before I actually saw the package,
> especially if I were going to be held to that opinion later (and, if I
> wasn't, what's the point)?

There are several reasons why a package could be rejected. Some are
"global" reasons (means: independent of the way the maintainer
packaged) and some are "local", e.g. sloppy packaging, abusing
scripts or pointless descriptions.

The discussion is only about global reasons, as "wrong license", "we
don't need this package" or simmilar. This reasons could be discussed
before making the package quite as easy as afterwards.

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/