Re: eicar.com installer in Debian, and pre-upload interface to ftpmaster

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 11:08:04AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) [030705 10:50]:
> > On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:51:49PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > > Additionally, I would like to seriously propose establishing a
> > > pre-upload interface to ftpmaster so that a developer could learn that
> > > he is writing a package pending rejection after upload _before_
> > > spending time on building that package. I find it disturbingly
> > > impolite to say "sorry, we don't want your volunteer work" _after_ the
> > > work has been done.
>
> > So, let me get this straight: you think that if a volunteer does some
> > work then it should be accepted into Debian unconditionally? No matter
> > what? Because that's what you seem to be saying.
>
> Marc is doing it the other way: He want an interface to reject a
> package before substantial work has been spent on it. So there
> shouldn't be this conflict any more, which would be a good thing.

That's pointless, I think. If I were an ftpmaster I would not be willing
to render an opinion on a package before I actually saw the package,
especially if I were going to be held to that opinion later (and, if I
wasn't, what's the point)?

Initial upload is the right time to perform checks.