Re: Debian menu encoding support

Hi,

* Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> [2003-07-04 22:17:23]:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * Bill Allombert [Fri, Jul 04 2003, 08:55:41PM]:
>
> > It is now possible to select the encoding used to write files generated
> > by menu in a menu-method. You just need to add outputencoding="<enc>"
> > in the menu-method file, where <enc> is a valid iconv encoding.
> >
> > For example to force output to be UTF-8 encoded, add
> > outputencoding="UTF-8"
>
> Jeez, let's reinvent the wheel. And again. And again.
>
> Now, you force every maintainer to update the menu entries for
> localisation, when will be the next time to change them again? Why
> cannot you just recognize that the Free Desktop format is superior and
> invest your manpower into tools for smooth transition to it?

Either you are trolling, or you don't know what you're talking about.

There is nothing wrong with this change. It's just an improvement of our
current _working_ menu system, enabling localized Debian menu section
names. This is a pretty neat usability improvement, in the fact that the
'Debian' menu in my gnome-panel will finally have the menu section names
in Danish instead of English.

Is it so bad that he (and me, and others) are working on delivering a
slightly improved menu system for sarge?

Do you consider it his responsibility to step forward and transition to
the Free Desktop standards, even when _no_ implementation that suits
Debian has been developed yet? Think again.

  - Morten.

--
http://mbrix.dk/