Re: Please remove RFCs from the documentation in Debian packages

On Fri, 2003-07-04 at 11:06, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 11:54:17PM -0500, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
>
> | How do you show it's not software? How does it differ from software?
> |
> | What if I take the view that Mozilla is an interpreter and anarchism is
> | the program? Please explain how that differs from the Perl interpreter
> | and Perl programs.
>
> I would argue that while Perl is Turing complete, HTML is not, thus
> anarchism is not software.

So only programs in Turing-complete languages can be considered
software?

What if your program is written in a Turing-complete language (say,
LaTeX), but doesn't require the language to be Turing-complete to run
(like most LaTeX documents)? You could make a non-Turing complete LaTeX
interpreter that would process the document just as well. Does that mean
it's suddenly not software?

What if I made Turing-complete language of which HTML is a subset? I
could call it PHP.

Don't Cc me. I'm on the list.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>