Re: Debconf or not debconf

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 01:24:54AM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> Somehow, you managed to miss the point entirely in your first line,
> *even though* you restated it later.

I don't miss the point at all.

> You have assumed that it is ok to break the user system and warn
> people about it.

> It is not. Do not break the user system. Then no warnings are
> necessary.

Yes, that's what we should be aiming for.  Sadly things like upstream
changes may make this unreasonably difficult - for example,
configuration formats may change substantially in a way that is not
ameinable to automated translation or a bug fix may require incompatible
changes.  If we're left in this unfortunate suituation where we're going
to break the user system then we ought to warn them about it.