inews path question

I maintain slrn, which can run inews to post news. We apparently have
three inews programs in debian; inewsinn puts it in /usr/bin/inews,
while inews and cnews put it in /usr/lib/news/inews. My question is how
is a program like slrn supposed to find an inews program to run? If it
searches PATH it will only find inewsinn's inews. Of course the user can
configure it (via inews_program in the rc file) to use any inews
program, but this is an extra step to get working news posting. Would an
alternative make sense for inews?

--
see shy jo