Re: inews path question

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 08:52:50PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> I maintain slrn, which can run inews to post news. We apparently have
> three inews programs in debian; inewsinn puts it in /usr/bin/inews,
> while inews and cnews put it in /usr/lib/news/inews. My question is how
> is a program like slrn supposed to find an inews program to run? If it
> searches PATH it will only find inewsinn's inews. Of course the user can
> configure it (via inews_program in the rc file) to use any inews
> program, but this is an extra step to get working news posting. Would an
> alternative make sense for inews?

I guess it would. I notice that "strings /usr/bin/tin" says
tin has /usr/bin/inews hardcoded.

I wonder if this would complicate the inews/cnews situation.
Currently, inews depends on cnews and diverts cnews's inews binary,
using the assumption that it's a superset of cnews's and that you
wouldn't want to use the other if you installed the inews package.

On a related note, if anybody wants to take over nntp/cnews/inews,
please be my guest.

Hamish