Re: Every spam is sacred: tagging mails because of their content or their supposed origin?

Mathieu Roy wrote:
> I'm not saying DNSBL are completely stupid. it may push deliberately
> Open-Relay servers to vanish.

Yes, most spammers prefer open proxies these days :-)

> But I definitely find spamassassin conceptually much better - because
> it really takes a mail for what it is. It cannot be trapped.
> Because if the DNSBL one day become a major problem to spammers, who
> knows what kind of methods they may use to attack them.

A spamassassin rule is much easier to fool than an IP address.
Not a long time ago there were a lot of spam which was "PGP-signed".

> If you are to tag each mail transiting at debian.org, I think better
> to do it with spamassassin.

If I have to receive spam anyway, let us filter the way we choose.
Just provide the tools so that we can save bnadwith by doing
the filtering in master.

More than a week ago I asked debian-admin to install the dependencies
for razor 2 in master. Still waiting.

> And please, do it for the mailing-list too. Spam is not only an
> issue for debian developers but also for debian users, that do not
> got a @debian.org but are a priority in DFSG ;)

The debian lists use spamassassin since a long time ago.

> It leads me to another question: will the mailing-list archives be
> filtered? At mail.[non]gnu.org, mails tagged as spam by spamassassin
> are not delivered to the archives (while they are to mailing-list
> subscribers).

Mails tagged as spam by spamassassin are neither archived (in the usual
archives, that is) or delivered to the subscribers.

The spam you see in the lists is a tiny fraction of the spam which is
sent to the lists.