Re: texmf.cnf again

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:09:18 +0900 (JST), Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> said:

> From: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> Subject: Re: texmf.cnf
> again Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:41:41 -0500

>> I think that is why tetex packaging is stll suboptimal -- if I

> Yes, I didn't insist that it is the optimal.  But as far as I know,
> there is no scheme which can handle every TeX related componets
> better than update-texmf.  Anyway

	Rubish. You could create the file
 /usr/share/<package>new-config-file, as you do now, ands ask the use
 whether they weant this file, if in and only if the file has
 changed. You can offer the user the option to merge the changes that
 have occured in the generated file into their own
 /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf

	You still have a /etc/texmf.d directory, you still oinly ask
 uses if the generated file changes, you do not overwrite their
 file, and wonders: you get 3 way merges for free.

	This is precisely what ucf was written for.

	manoj
--
An anthropologist at Tulane has just come back from a field trip to
New Guinea with reports of a tribe so primitive that they have Tide