Re: Every spam is sacred

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 10:58:34PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> a tapoté :

> > On Thursday, Jun 12, 2003, at 08:04 US/Eastern, Mathieu Roy wrote:

> > > "they do so out of a practical desire to get their mail delivered",
> > > it's
> > > a game of word. By fear of having some of their mail not delivered,
> > > they avoid some ISP.

> > And, so?

> > > You deliberately harm innocent people using these ISP just because
> > > they use this ISP.

> > Yeah, in the same sense I deliberately harm a telemarketer by refusing
> > to buy his wares, getting an answering machine, or just hanging up on
> > him.

> If you cut the phone-line the telemarketer is using because you think
> he is doing a nasty job, yes.

Is there something about the initials "M. R." that leads to a reduced
capacity for rational thought?  You think that Debian's mailservers are
paid for by the spammers who dump garbage on our lists, and that by
blocking their access to the Debian servers, we're destroying property
that belongs to them?

> > You seem to be missing a fundamental distinction between murder and
> > refusal to communicate:
> > 	1) You have a right to live
> > 	2) You have no right to communicate with me against my wishes.
> > 	   Further, I have a right to refuse to communicate with you.

> Your 2 is off-topic.

> We're a speaking of a general policy, a system-wide policy, not an
> individual policy.

2) You have no right to communicate with Debian against Debian's wishes.
   Further, Debian has a right to refuse to communicate with you.

> The 2 would be in fact
>         2) You have no right to broke communication between two
>         persons just because you do not like the ISP of the sender
>         one.

If we were all insane, that might be #2.  Fortunately, most people here
are not, and don't think Debian should be brought up on criminal
charges for preventing third parties from communicating via the Debian
servers.

I am not saying that Debian should use RBLs without considering the
impact of false positives.  I'm just saying that your arguments are
deranged.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer